Friday, February 8, 2008

"Frankly, I just don't see the point..."

Our time wwoofing was a wonderful experience in many ways, but it was also a somewhat challenging lesson in tolerance and patience while we attempted to adjust to new people and their different ways of living. While we are quite comfortable with roughing it and "making do", one night of sleeping in an unheated cabin with a compost loo out back in the coldest part of the damp English winter was the final straw...

We spent our first two weeks at Fingringhoe pruning apple trees (see previous post). Afterwards we boarded the train to Norfolk and spent a week with beekeeper Steve in the Stallands, near Wymondham (pronounced Wind-um). And then we were supposed to spend our final week with Mark and Christine in nearby Spooner Row. However, after that first sleepless and cold night, we knew we couldn't make it through the week. At lunch the next day we booked the first ticket back to London we could... Monday morning. So, we had three nights in our cramped and cold cabin and two days of collecting tree trimmings, which was far from the romantic notion I'd had of working on an organic farm, milking cows, feed hens, collecting eggs and planting seeds! A little naive I suppose... especially at this time of year, but they sure did feed us well! We've never eaten such good, healthy, vegetarian food in our lives. I definitely learned some great new ways of cooking.

And so we are back in St. Albans and know well, that while we love love love to spend time in the country, we are definitely, definitely big city people. I kissed the air when we stepped off the bus in London.

As for beekeeping... our new friend Steve, the beekeeper taught us quite a bit about the ins and outs of it all while we replaced last year's frames with new wax for the bees and labeled many a jar of honey. We've been enjoying the delcious honey we were able to take home with us and look forward to returning later in the season to see our frames put to use. To see pictures visit this album on facebook.

Robin (& Dan)

PS The title of this blog is a quote from Emma: "I don't play Monopoly. Frankly, I just don't see the point". Funny, funny, Emma.

No comments: